Volunteers mainly come to Ashfield on Tuesday to Thursday. We hope to open on other days soon. We strive to develop volunteering in a supportive and positive way to make sure everyone gets something out of the time that they spend here. Ashfield is a beautiful, relaxing environment that has a lot to offer to people of all experiences, abilities and backgrounds. Everyone is welcome to come along and help out, learn or share. Our friendly staff is here to support you as best they can when you're here at Ashfield.
What you can get up to:
Volunteers can choose to get involved in lots of different ways.
1. Horticulture & Growing: fruit, vegetables, herbs and plants using organic methods. Sowing seed, planting, digging, weeding, picking fruit and vegetables. There are so many skills to horticulture, do you have skills you can offer us ? Or we can teach you.
We also offer special beds for people who would rather work by theirsleves
2. Cooking: (Tuesday, Wednesday mornings) using fresh produce straight from the kitchen garden. Workshops making meals, jams and cakes. We hope to expand this to provide a volunteer lunch every weekday for £2 for two courses.
3. Groundwork: mowing, hedging, strimming, painting and decorating.
4. Admin: answering the phone, showing people around and helping with light admin.
5. IT skills. We need someone to look after the webpages, email list, various set up and maintenance jobs.
6. Specific projects: such as woodworking, running workshops.
4. and 5. can be done at home.
Do you or your friends want to volunteer? Do you know someone who might be interested in volunteering?
Come along as an individual or with friends. Meet new people, learn new skills and have fun. It can be a great way to get outdoors and active even in winter.
There are bright, sheltered polytunnels to work in at all times of year. And a warm, comfortable place to have a cup of tea!
Get in touch on 01597 829 689 or drop in to visit.
Volunteers working in the polytunnel